Sunday, 18 January 2015

Fabric: December purchases

At the very end of December, in those lazy days between Christmas and New Years I went down to London with a friend, in search of yarn. Yes, yarn. See, my friend is a knitter and with her help I'm slowly trying to fulfil my new years resolution of becoming one too.

But one doesn't just go to London without doing some fabric shopping! So we got off at Shepherd's Bush and walked down to Goldhawk Road. Mostly because I hadn't been since the summer and because there is always a bargain to be had on this promising street of fabric vendors.

Indeed! I picked up three fabrics. I know, very restrained! These are the lucky three:


From the bottom of the picture up they are a gorgeous heavy cotton, a medium-weight drapey viscose and a silky and cheap as peanuts polyester.


First up, the cotton. The strands seen in the photos are woven and the texture of this is just lush. The blue is deep and refreshing against the black and white fibers. And there is such a sheen to this fabric! I'm massively in love!

I'm thinking that later on in spring I'll try to make a Chanel style jacket from it. I only bought 1 meter and my thoughts are to make the body in this fabric and the sleeves in a heavy black ponte jersey. I have yet to find the perfect pattern. If anybody knows of any good ones, give me a shout.


The next fabric is this viscose. I love this dark grey/black pattern on white. It looks like ink lines with smudged ink all over to me. But the best thing about this is the drape! It makes perfect dress fabric! In fact, I made a dress from it yesterday which I'm hoping to have up on the blog in the next few days. Stay tuned!


Finally, there is this polyester. It was £4/meter but I expect great things from it. Firstly, it is light and silky to the touch. Secondly, it didn't fray too bad during the wash, so it might be ok to work with. Finally, that pattern! Those nude and coral red geometric shapes on the charcoal grey background. Perfect!

The plan it so make it into a Colette Laurel. I'm going to treat it as a wearable (hopefully!) muslin and underline the body in a very light Indian cotton. I think the Laurel dress has potential to become a wardrobe staple for me, so a cheap and cheerful polyester will be perfect to test it in!

On that note, I'm off to attend to the laborious task of taping the pattern together. 

I hope you are all having a lovely Sunday! xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment