Monday, 15 September 2014

OWOP 2014

So...OWOP 2014 is over. I'm torn between two emotions. Relief. And inspiration. Relief because I can finally wear other things! And inspiration because I've realised the possibilities of the Plantain top.

Let me talk you through it. With pictures.


So I chose the Deer & Doe Plantain tee pattern for OWOP. I mentioned in the previous post that I wanted something that is easy to style because Mon-Fri I work in an office with a smart casual dresscode, but Sat-Sun I loooove my jeans. So it had to go with both jeans and heels. 

Let's take a closer look at the outfits. 

Saturday.

My original Plantain. Blue viscose jersey with sleeves in fine blue silk (old scarf). Paired with jeans for pottering around at home.


Sunday.


Plantain dress (just elongated the pattern using a similar T-shirt dress as a template) in the most fun, colourful print fabric. It's some kind of polyester mix. About £4 per meter from Goldhawk Road, with a quality that matches the price. But with a silk slip under it's fine. Wore it with tan shoes and a tan belt to a winetasting/vineyard tour at Stanlake Park. Recommendation from a friend. Now I'm recommending it to you all! Go, it's amazing!


Monday.

First workday. Blue Plantain again. This time with black straight leg trousers, black pumps and a drapey black cardigan (photographed without because it's in the wash).


Tuesday.

Grey Plantain T-shirt with black lace details. I was going to do a lattice pattern with the lace, but it was such a pain in the a**e sewing onto the very slippery jersey I changed it to diagonal lines. Not sure I like it to be honest. The lace makes it look a bit...ugly.

Anyways. Styled with a black skirt, black patent leather belt and little black high heeled bootie-style shoes.


Wednesday.

The Plantain cardigan. This one I love! See, this one was long coming. The background story is a bit long, so those of you with better stuff to do, keep scrolling.

There is a certain style of jacket that is quite in at the moment. Just slightly longer than waist-length, with no collar or lapels. A bit like the Chanel suit jacket, but shorter. I love this style! But my office is way too warm for them. And the whole taking it off, putting it back on - I don't have the patience for that. So I wanted a cardigan version of one. Basically similar in style but way thinner.

I found the perfect fabric on Goldhawk Road for having a go. A very sturdy brown jersey. I did it with the Plantain. I changed the neckline to be not quite as deep, removed some fabric from the back (will put some darts in too next time) and just cut in the middle in the front to make the opening. Ruffled lots of black lace (same as for the Plantain above - funny story, I accidentally ordered 38 meters! of it) and sewed on each side of the opening. Added a hook and eye for discreet closure. And black jersey sleeves.

Success! Love it! Let's have a closer look:


Wore it with a black top, black trousers and black flats.


Thursday.

Ugh, so wrong. By this point I was tired from a long week with lots of 5 am starts and completely uninspired. Got out of the shower and didn't fancy any of my Plantains. Felt like improving my mood by wearing something colourful. I forgot how short and not formal this was and pulled it on. Left the house and realised only when I was on the train to work. Sartorial fail.


Friday.

Last day! Finally! Also casual Friday. And I was leaving work at 1! So happy. Didn't care what I wore. So I wore the grey lace tee I'm not sure I like. With black jeans and tan shoes.


So that was my OWOP week. I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad it's over. I still love this pattern, but wearing the same style of something all week is so not my thing. I have a very simple, basic style that involves a base colour scheme of black, grey and navy and the only thing that makes it not completely boring is mixing up the style of things I wear. Remove that and what's left is...boring. So yeah, it was a fun challenge, but I sure am glad it was just a week!

Saying that...guess what I wore on Saturday when I could wear whatever I wanted? A long-sleeved T-shirt.



8 comments:

  1. I really like your round up and styling and I love the lace plantain t-shirt and cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely round-up! You have some awesome versions of the PLaintain top, I think you may just have convinced me to get this pattern! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! And thank you so much for hosting it! I know I said in the post I was tired towards the end, but it was such a fun challenge overall! And yea, go for the Plantain! Awesome and free, what's not to love? :)

      Delete
  3. The lace t is really cute. I agree with getting a bit fatigued towards the end of OWOP, I totally ran out of steam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few people have said they like it. I guess that decides it - it stays! Thanks for being the convincing voice. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the multi-colored dress! Just the right amount of pizazz!

    ReplyDelete