Sunday, 17 March 2013

DIY: Silky maxi skirt

The beauty of being at the beginning of a year is that any goal feels achievable. (Ok, I admit, I wrote this post ages ago, but didn't get around to posting until now. So if the factual accuracy is a bit weak, be forgiving.) After all, there are still 9+ months to accomplish it! One of the things I want to achieve and do more of in 2013 is to sew things from scratch.


I used to sew looooads from scratch but haven't done it for years so am really rusty. Therefore, something really simple would be the perfect start. I found the inspiration in Celine's SS collection. The straight and elegant cuts that characterise the label makes great inspiration for beginner's sewing projects.

Something dark, silky in a simple silhouette - perfect! I decided on a skirt.

To feel like spring I must have some florals, and luckily I found a dark silky material with gorgeous large floral patterns. No thinking twice!

The basic recipe for make a simple maxi skirt is to sew a long tube, put in an elastic at the top and hem the bottom.

With a few alternations you can customise the look and put your own twist on it. I'm going for a narrow high-waisted maxi skirt with slits along the sides that can double as a midi skirt with a big side bow.

Sounds complicated? It couldn't be easier!


Supplies:
  • Fabric
  • Elastic
  • Pins
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
  • Sewing machine

1. First things first, do your measurements. The height of the skirt and the width.
The height: from your feet to your waist. Plus a couple cm at bottom for hem and same for top.
The width: enough to do all the way around you and still have space to breathe. The wider, the more volume the skirt will have. 

2. Cut two rectangles with these measurements. Starting at the top, sew together the the sides of the rectangles. Stop where you want your side slits to begin.


3. Now the waistband. Follow the tutorial I provided a couple months back. To get a wide waist, use a wide elastic. I had none, so made two "tunnels" and used two elastics.

Starting to look like a skirt now! Next step: side slits.


4. On each side of each rectangle of fabric, fold in twice and iron so the fabric stays in place. 


5. Sew with a straight stitch from bottom until you reach your stitching from step 3.


6. Turn right side up and sew a few horizonal stitches to join together the vertical ones on your slits. Will look prettier this way.

7. Finally, do the bottom hem.

To make an eco version, used recycled or thrifted fabric. Or alter a maxi skirt you already have.


Result photos by Josh.

1 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back
    as I'm attempting to create my own website and would like to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Thank you!

    Also visit my web blog ... clothing men

    ReplyDelete