Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Dolce & Gabbana inspired gold trim cape

Before this year is over and it's out with the old and in with SS13 inspiration I wanted to show you this cape inspired by the Dolce & Gabbana Autumn/Winter 12 collection. It's the perfect cover over neat cocktail dresses to and fro the season's festive soirees. And it couldn't be easier to make.

Before and after. A little detail makes a big difference.

I love everything about the D&G collection; the detail, decadence, opulence of it...amazing!  And the gold on black baroque pieces were my absolute favourites.


So when I found a heavy, thick, pure lambswool black cape in a charity shop for next to nothing it was clear what its destiny was to become.

Supplies:


  • Black cape. If you don't have one, so easy to make one, a great tutorial here.
  • Gold trim
  • Black velvet trim
  • Pins
  • Scissors
  • Not pictured: sewing machine/needle & thread

Step 1. Pin, then sew the gold trim in place wherever you think it would look great. I chose just above the hem at the back.


To cover up the stitches and add a little elegant detail, pin and sew the velvet trim over the top of the gold trim.

And that's it!


As I was rummaging through my wardrobe looking for an outfit to go with the cape my inspiration deviated from Dolce & Gabbana's baroque and towards F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

If I was going to a New Years party this year this is what I'd wear: black silk dress, heels with DIY gold details, a DIY hairband with gold details (tutorial coming up later in week), and for outdoors this cape. But alas I work. 


Unfortunately the DIY heels are pre-The Peppermint Store, but if you want to make something like them the web is packed with great tutorials. You can find a superb one at my DIY bible, here


Ciao for now!


0 comments:

Post a Comment