Sunday, 25 November 2012

Advent preparations - lanterns

Hey again!

Look at me spoiling you with regular updates. It must be the Christmas feeling. ;)

Right, so I love Christmas. The whole Christmas season. Absolutely love it. The anticipation, the snow, the lights in winter darkness, the shiny decorations, the music, the food, the mulled wine, the social events, the gift wrapping, the family time, even the Christmas themed coffees. It's just cosy from beginning to end.

The one thing I can't stand though is the flight home. I hate flying normally (no fear, just hassle), but Christmas flying = pain in the ass^infinity. So this year I'm staying put in the UK for Christmas. Since it's my first Christmas here I have 0 decorations. 

No problem, I'll just make some. Starting with some advent candle lanterns.



Supplies:



  • Glass jars or tumblers - if jars, wash thoroughly and soak in some hot water for a while to remove labels
  • Hessian cloth
  • Embroidery thread (if you can't be bothered embroidering, you can just use a permanent marker, or maybe some sequin trim?)


Wrap the Hessian around the jars to figure out how large pieces you need. Cut to size.

The next step is drawing numbers on the Hessian. I can't free-draw even straight lines, hence the ruler.


If you go for embroidery or a trim, this is where that comes in. If you decided to just use a permanent marker, ignore this step.

(Ignore my lines by the edges of the cloth, I initially planned to hot glue the hessian to the jar and marked where to glue, but then changed my mind about the whole gluing business.)


Stitch, or if you are lazy (and if you are I don't judge - I went with needle and thread because I was too lazy to wait for the hot glue gun to heat up), you can glue the hessian to the jars.


And then just wait for it to get dark.




Can't wait for next Sunday: mulled wine, gingerbread cookies and first candle!



0 comments:

Post a Comment