Thursday, 5 July 2012

Sunshine yellow necklace


Last weekend I had some spare time on my hands on the way home from an errand and decided to stroll up a beautiful cobble-stone hill.  Halfway up I found myself glued to the window of a bead shop. While the selection of beads and other jewelry making parts and tools was lovely and the shop owner was delightful, it was a large bowl of candy-like beads that caught my attention. Shiny in every colour of the rainbow, in a way that at worst makes you think of bonbons and at best of summer holidays (I know, everything currently makes me think of summer holidays, probably the lack thereof most of all). I had to get some.

As I'm at the moment in love with yellow, I picked out only the yellow stones for this craft Thursday.

Since I had loooads of chain from various thrifted necklaces I wanted to use them as well, so there was at least some semi-recycling involved in the project. After a few failed attempts, I came up with this necklace. And...I love it!


What you will need:


  • Chain of two thicknesses
  • Some loose chain links
  • A clasp
  • Some beads
  • Thread (embroidery thread is nice and thick for this) and a needle
  • Pliers (optional: in colour that matches beads)


How to... (I should have numbered the pictures... Ah well; left, right, left, right, left right is how to follow)

  1. Attach your chunky chain to your neater chain using some loose chain links so...
  2. ...you've got something that looks like this.
  3. With the help of the needle, put the beads on the thread. Keep them loose.
  4. Tie your thread to the chain links and cut off the excess thread.
  5. Measure how long you want the necklace to be and remove links on each side so they are equally long. Using some more loose chain links, put them on the ends. On one end, add the clasp.
  6. Done.



This was a lucky project, because as I was finishing it the clouds dispersed and the sun came out. You can see how happy that made me!





1 comments: